30 August, 2010

Unsocial social beings!

We the Homo sapiens call ourselves social beings. Don't we? Or at least that is what has been told to us right from the beginning of our social journey.

But, as I get to meet more people, I seem to get alienated from this idea of us being "social"; Actually, we are quite the opposite, I'd say. Few of my personal observations could substantiate this accusation of mine, if you are unconvinced.

Firstly, the infamous lack of eye-contact.
Now, we needn't deny this fact. I have traveled a lot (for my age) within India, meeting hundreds of people (mainly students) and there has been seldom good eye-contact with a voluntary greeting, or an acknowledgement to my greeting. Most of the times, it is only after I have given my talk, or been on stage is when people seem to interact, and that is because they know me. As a stranger, they want me to be a stranger. This is very disappointing!

Secondly, the lack of will, or motive, or incentive , or I don't know what else could be the primary cause for the reluctance; The reluctance which prevents people from coming together and gathering for a social event. In case, there is a celebrity in the proximity, or some notoriety happening, people throng, but for their own cause, or for some genuine social cause, it has been very few who have had the humane aspect in them. This again, is a conclusion from the various social events I have organized and have been part of. Further disappointment!

Adding to this is the apathy we have towards fellow beings. With this, and more such anti-social animosity filled within us, I totally deny the concept of us being Social beings!

A paradigm shift about mutual perception is what the society requires, not just a superficially modified etiquette.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree wid u ..seriously humanity is lost in human beings...now people are just Existing but not Living a Life ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't been able to converge at the precise cause behind this anomalous human behavior, but it has to do a lot with the narrowing minds and unhealthy perceptions emanating from false emulations.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails