11 November, 2011

Indulging in wordplay

I'm not sure if this is a personal fancy, or if many of you have this trend of favorite words: Some word which occupies your mind, conversations and writings either due to its phonetics, or simply its implications. I regularly have these whimsies, and in most cases end up overwhelmingly using these words in my conversations and writing, with surplus utterances and occurrences!

Indulgence is the first of the words which I remember being obsessed about. There is something to the sound of it and more importantly the essence of it. It still is really special - Just to say it slowly, and passionately!

Other words in my favorite list:
cliche :used it until it became what it means. Now stick to using it when necessary only

highfalutin: I remember the first time I read this was in Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf. And ever since then, if none of the other fascist ideas,I have been using this word quite effectively.

diaspora: Well the current Diaspora* which I keep talking about did not introduce me to the term :) I think because it is a favorite word that I got hooked on to Diaspora* as well.

jargon: It is more to do with the phonetics of the word. To say it gives a nice sensation in the mouth (no, I'm not crazy, just try it out!)

commandante: Spanish word, from a farewell song to Che Guevara. Admire the the man, love the song, and hence the word

chauvinism : Certainly for phonetic reasons only!

There must be tens more. For now, the current word is phantasmagoria . Although very poor sounding phonetically, like sapiosexual it is an experience revelatory term. So just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails